I realize how long that previous post was. If you want the short version, here are my reasons to stick with Android and the Nexus 5 vs the reasons to switch back to an iPhone when the iPhone 6 comes out.
Reasons to stick with Android
- Keyboards are much better – more accurate, offer predictions. There’s nothing like it on iOS.
- The larger screen is a joy to use.
- Intents are better than the half-baked url schemes in iOS.
- Notifications are better on Android – actionable, you can clear them singularly, and the LED notifications are a nice touch.
- Locale and apps like it are game-changers in how they allow you to let the phone manage itself.
Reasons to jump back to iOS
- Android is missing key apps (OmniFocus, Tweetbot, etc) that make using the OS always feel a bit hollow.
- The hardware isn’t as good as Apple’s. Camera quality, overall build quality and screen quality are unmatched.
- Apple ecosystem is more integrated, especially given my ownership of mostly Apple products.
- iMessages, warts and all, is a fantasatic way to keep in touch with my world, who almost exclusively use iOS.
- Android is too ‘fiddly’. I’m always searching forums for bugs and how to address them, dealing with janky software, and searching for good replacements for apps I loved on iOS.